Tuesday 12 December 2017

Ninth week

Team YlfUlf the Stairs
And on and on it goes. Not long now; all should be done by Christmas. And if it isn't, well, never mind. I've managed this long, I can last a few more days. Or weeks. Not months though. Definitely not months.

It isn't the lack of cooking facilities, actually. I haven't done badly for food, given that I'm also trying to eat as little as possible. Breakfast is easy - cereal most days, or scrambled egg done in the microwave when I have more time. Lunch - I've had microwaved fish with veg and rice several times, the stuffed pepper recipe is a keeper, I can do easy-cook pasta with pesto or tomato sauce, and soup from the freezer or bought. I've even had a sandwich once or twice. I'm trying not to eat much in the evening, which is easy when there's badminton or meditation or some other activity.

The main things I miss are the sink and washing machine. The bath works pretty well as a sink, and I've been to the launderette three times now, but the sink and washing machine are definitely what I miss.

Anyway, week nine brought more dust than ever, as the kitchen team got started on Tuesday. One door has been damaged and will have to be re-ordered, so that will delay final sign-off until after Christmas, but hopefully that will be the only delay. A lot of visible progress was made in the first two days, then nothing much seemed to change as Team Ylf attended to the detail - hanging doors, drawers, plinths, shaping the worktops. Having chosen all the components such a long time ago, it was nice to find that I am still pleased with my choices.

Week 8
Beginning of Week 9
End of Week 9
On Wednesday of the same week the stairs team arrived. I was at home for the destruction and removal of the old stairs, which caused much puzzlement as Ulf the Stairs tried to understand how it was constructed so that it could most easily be deconstructed. The top of the stairs was embedded between the ceiling and floor above! The bottom of the stairs was embedded in the floor! The metal strips holding the banister had to be ground off! But it was done, and then I had to go to work, and when I got back the new stairs were in place, and I am very pleased with them.

Before
During
After
The new stairs are narrower and steeper, and will be even more beautiful when they have been varnished. I took the polystyrene packaging to the tip myself, and Ulf kindly took most of the cardboard to a rugby club bonfire, and a skip was definitely not needed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...